UES, Inc. is seeking a Photonics Fabrication Engineer to join a multi-disciplined team of engineers and scientists to assist with fabrication and testing of photonic components for integrated photonics, low-cost ISR, and hyperspectral research for the United States Air Force. The Engineer will use a combination of expertise and creativity with a hands-on approach to realize novel electro-optic modulators, optical metasurfaces, and laser sources. This is a challenging opportunity that will provide an environment to showcase technical craft and innovation while growing the knowledge of infrared imaging, laser systems, integrated photonics, and next-generation military systems through team interaction and real-world application. Primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Designing and fabricating integrated photonic chips and electro-optic modulators and assisting with the testing of these chips
- Developing IR metasurfaces through e-beam lithography, nano-imprint, or other techniques
- Simulation, fabrication, and testing of photonic crystal surface emitting laser devices as well as of laser devices of interest for sensing systems
- Maintaining clean room operations as part of a user group and provide fabrication and materials engineering expertise to R&D facility
- Participation in Air Force test and training activities (some travel may be required)
- May also be called upon support in functions outside of materials and electrical engineering such as test support, etc.
- PhD in Materials or Electrical Engineering (other engineering disciplines will be considered based on relevant education, skills, and experience)
- Experience with wet and dry etching and experience in a clean room
- Working knowledge of any/all of the following is a plus:
- Schematic capture and PCB design software
- Laser device fabrication
- Basic understanding of programming primarily for hardware interface (DAQ, control, and communications)
- Laboratory measurement equipment operation and communication
- Electro-optical devices
- The ability to obtain a security clearance may be required
- This position is working within a government facility and requires U.S. Citizenship
UES, Inc. is an innovative science and technology company providing customers with superior research and development expertise since its inception in 1973. Our long-term success is a direct result of a strong commitment to the success of our employees. We look forward to reviewing your application.
UES is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because of a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state and local laws.