Job Title: Bus Driver - OMJST
Worksite Location: Canton, Ohio
How to Apply:
APPLY DIRECT to Plain Local Schools using the following information:
Apply Online at:
Please mention OhioMeansJobs Stark or Tuscarawas when applying to this employer.
Job Description: Provide courteous, orderly, punctual, and safe transportation to students in assigned vehicles along prescribed routes to and from designated buildings.
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor/Transportation Clerk
Supervises: Students and/or areas assigned by the Transportation Supervisor
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Classified Personnel
- Must be insurable by the District’s fleet insurance carrier
- Must be able to maneuver and handle equipment when needed, such as step ladder to clean outside mirrors/glass, general maintenance items (i.e., oil cans), power washer, safety equipment, cell phone, fueling equipment, etc.
- Comply with all rules, laws, and regulations - transportation, safety, and other- as prescribed by the State of Ohio and the Plain Local School District
- Attend State, County, and District meetings as required
- Make daily bus inspection each morning/afternoon as required by State law
- Report in writing mechanical defects, malfunctions, etc. to the Mechanics
- Clean interior of bus, outside mirrors/glass areas daily after all trips
- Maintain discipline on the bus and report misconduct to the Building Principal at the end of the runs; meet with Principal to discuss student misconduct
- Remain on bus while students are loading and unloading
- Make all required reports, oral or written, of accidents, student misconduct, bus deficiencies, time cards, absentee reports, passenger lists, etc.
- Report to work every day at the assigned time
- Provide a communication link between parents, students, and school
- Meet with parents and administrators as required
- Deal with occasional exposure to blood and bodily fluids
- Deal with students in a friendly manner, even the occasional unruly student
- Occasional operation of a bus in inclement weather conditions
- Comply with all Plain Local Board of Education policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as directed
Employment Terms: Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
Details: Full-Time and Part-Time available. 1st Shift. Monday through Friday. 25-29 hours/week. $14.00-$18.05/hour. Will accept trainee. Will pay for certification. Will provide on-the-job training.
Qualifications: High School diploma or equivalent. Must have and maintain a valid C.D.L. with bus endorsement. Experience working with students in an authoritative role. Such alternatives to the above as the Board may find appropriate.
Driver’s License Requirement(s): Class A CDL with School Bus Endorsement.
Available Benefits: Health Insurance, Vacation, Paid Holidays, Sick Leave, Retirement Plan Other Than 401(k).
Pre-Employment Testing: Criminal Background Check, Driving Record Check, Drug Testing, and Reference Check.
OMJ Staff Contact: RC5