Job Title: Substitute Bus Driver - OMJST
Worksite Location: Massillon, OH 44646
How to Apply:
APPLY DIRECT to Jackson Local School District using the following information:
Apply online at: https://jacksonoh.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx
Please mention OhioMeansJobs Stark or Tuscarawas when applying to this employer.
Job Description: The Jackson Local School District in Massillon, OH, has part-time Substitute Bus Driver openings.
Description: Safely transport students to and from school and all school-related events; comply with federal and state laws, and board of education rules and mandates that pertain to school bus drivers.
- Serve as a role model for students in how to conduct themselves as citizens and as responsible, intelligent human beings;
- Has a legal responsibility to help instill in students the belief in and practice of ethical principles and democratic values;
- Shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district;
- Ensure safety of students;
- Transport students safely and efficiently to and from school and school-related events;
- Follow assigned bus routes and schedules;
- Maintain required records and information;
- Report any mechanical problems to the bus mechanic/supervisor;
- Keep assigned vehicle neat and clean;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and awareness of changes in driving laws as they apply to transporting school children;
- Obey all traffic laws;
- Observe all mandatory safety regulations for school buses;
- Maintain pupil control and report any violations to the proper authorities as prescribed;
- Discharge students only at authorized stops;
- Transport only authorized students;
- Report all accidents and complete required reports;
- Enforce applicable federal and state laws, and the board of education policies;
- Complete established pre-trip inspection of vehicle;
- Report any hazardous conditions along the existing route to the transportation supervisor;
- Attend bus driver meetings and be available in the event of emergency dismissal;
- Notify the transportation supervisor in case of illness in order to permit time to secure a substitute driver;
- Share in the responsibility for driving for a school-sponsored event and/or approved field trip;
- Conduct front door, rear door and combination front and rear door emergency evacuation drills;
- Prepare reports, route maps, schedules, pupil lists and accident reports as required by the State of Ohio, Ohio Department of Education and the board of education;
- Maintain respect at all times for confidential information, e.g. student identification information, student medication;
- Interact in a positive manner with staff, students and parents;
- Promote good public relations by personal appearance, attitude, conversation and by the safe and professional operation of a school bus;
- Attend meetings and in-services as required;
- Conduct a school bus safety program for all bus students, grades K-3, during the first three weeks of school as required by state law.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exercise responsible leadership when on out-of-district school trips;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the transportation supervisor.
- Appropriate State of Ohio certification/license;
- State of Ohio Class B Commercial Driver’s License with S and P endorsements (training will be provided);
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the superintendent and/or board of education may find appropriate.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with others;
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing;
- Effective, active listening skills;
- Organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Basic first aid;
- Knowledge of relevant Ohio laws and regulations;
- Knowledge of traffic rules;
- Ability to read and understand verbal and written instructions, written warnings and labels;
- Trained to recognize signs of abuse or neglect and the signs of drug or alcohol abuse;
- Ability to work independently;
- Occasional requirements to carry bus students in an emergency evacuation;
- Frequent exposure to various fumes, i.e., carbon monoxide and diesel fuel;
- Frequent requirement to sit, stand and walk, talk, hear, see (color vision required), read, speak, reach, stretch with hands and arms, crouch, climb, balance, kneel and stoop;
- Occasional requirement to restrain;
- Occasional requirement to work overtime.
This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow the instructions and perform the duties required by the incumbent’s supervisor, appointing authority.
Details: Part time. 2nd Shift. Zero to 40 hours/week. Monday through Friday. $18.57/hour.
Qualifications: High School Diploma / GED. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
Driver’s License Requirement(s): Must Have Valid Ohio Class B CDL Driver’s License with S and P Endorsements.
Available Benefits: Retirement Plan Other Than 401(k).
Pre-Employment Testing: Criminal Background Check, Driving Record Check, Drug Testing, Reference Check, Physical Examination.OMJ Staff Contact: RC2