Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams, Valspar, HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy, Krylon, Minwax, Thompson's Water Seal, Cabot and many more. Sherwin-Williams branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,100 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company's other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The company supplies a broad range of highly-engineered industrial and OEM coatings for wood and general industrial, coil, packaging, protective and marine, and transportation applications worldwide. Our 60,000 employees are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to find a career that takes you places.
Senior Linux Systems Engineer deploys custom software and services deployed on Linux systems within the enterprise. This position will focus on providing technical support to a team of Engineers and Service Delivery integrators on Linux / Unix based Enterprise Configuration Managed solutions. The Engineer will create full configuration management driven systems, execute life-cycle service models, and ensure integration with other systems works as designed. The Engineer will document existing and newly deployed configuration management solutions. This role will focus on complex troubleshooting and support within all levels of organization. The role will utilize ITIL practices to support new and existing line of business Linux deployments. Position will focus on Linux platform delivery, including the following: Maintain Linux service catalog, defining and maintaining system change management policies and programs.
Strategy & Planning
* Perform analysis of the organization's business needs, translate line of business requirements into use cases, design and implementation services for automating system delivery.
* Develop, deploy, and maintain Linux delivery catalog.
* Implement service level standards and practices for Linux deployments.
* Participate in the development of standards and decisions regarding changes to systems/applications. Provide technical leadership and vision.
* Identify open source tools, languages, and technologies for accelerating system delivery by leveraging automation and infrastructure orchestration techniques.
* Define methods and practices for executing change management policies in medium scale server environments.
* Develop practices and processes for applying security controls into continuous integration lifecycle.
* Analyze new emerging technologies in the Configuration Management space and translate functionality of the new technology into an effective IT vision and strategy
* Keep up-to-date on business trends and the latest technology innovations to forecast solutions, and anticipate emerging business changes
* Collaborate with other technologists across the enterprise to assess current capabilities and bridge the gaps with legacy and future systems.
Acquisition & Deployment
* Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for Linux systems and software in conjunction with application developers.
* Advanced server scripting abilities using Bash Shell, Perl, and/or Python.
* Engage in the planning, design, development and effectuation of improvements with focus on simplification and optimization of processes.
* Meet with clients, peers and decision makers to define business requirements and system goals, and identify and resolve business systems issues.
* Administer/support the policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure Linux system security through secure system access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
* Participate in standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for related file systems, input/output systems, networking, clustering, storage, and applications.
* Implement, perform and test application high availability solutions to meet required levels of application availability.
* Implement, perform and test application disaster recovery solutions to meet required levels of application recoverability.
* Work with team to anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on all Linux systems.
* Collaborate and support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
* Implement effective system monitoring.
* Design, gain approval for and execute modifications to Linux systems in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
* Ensure secure user access and role validation processes.
* Perform Linux server/database transaction and security audits leading to identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Recommend and implement changes where necessary.
* Create required reports in response to business user needs.
* Develop, document, and maintain Linux system training materials and systems documentation for educating end users and new IT staff.
* Mentor and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
* Participate in capacity planning and performance management activities.
* Assist with other projects as may be required to contribute to efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
* Attend, and periodically lead meetings with the team.
* Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
* Assist with Change Management preparations and implementations, providing technical subject matter expertise.
* Provide periodic 24-7 on-call support of specific functions.
* Some travel as required
* Working outside the standard office 7.5 hours workday as required; on-call availability.
Formal Education & Certification
* Bachelor degree or foreign equivalent in related field or equivalent experience.
Knowledge & Experience
* 5+ years IT experience
* 5+ years experience designing and deploying Linux based virtualization systems (VMWare, OVM, XEN, or other experience preferred).
* Experience deploying applications, databases, and virtualization services.
* Experience performing Linux security vulnerability detection and remediation (Qualys preferred).
* Understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, load balancing and network concepts.
* Understanding of automation and deployment tools (Puppet, Chef, Ruby, Jenkins, GIT, Python, Shell scripting or similar).
Experience Preferred but not required
* Experience applying practices to storage administration.
* Experience implementing Linux server hardening and security practices. Experience implementing PCI and HIPPA compliance standards preferred.
* Experience implementing ITIL based service catalog for Linux platforms.
* Software development experience.
* Working knowledge of database technologies (Oracle clustering and ASM, MondoDB, Mysql, and/or DB2).
* Systems Administration experience.
* Understanding of container technology
* Strong and comprehensive verbal and written communications.
* Responsive and alert to new learning opportunities, growth and development of technical, interpersonal and business skills; able to recognize and address areas needing improvement.
* Motivated and competent to contribute appropriate time and effort to work needing attention.
* Attentive to detail with focus on accurate and timely results.
* Organized and able to prioritize tasks, responding effectively to competing needs.
* Attentive and reactive to customer needs and concerns.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Able to contribute to team effort and individual achievement.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status, or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting priority referral of protected veterans.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting priority referral of protected veterans.