Software Engineer - Technical Operations Lead
Date: Feb 10, 2020
Location:Columbus, OH, US, 43202
Company: American Chemical Society
This is an opportunity to play a key role with a best-in-class published in STM publishing.
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is seeking a Technical Operations Lead to lead the technology support team for our world class publishing operation. ACS Publications is already established as the most-trusted, most-cited, and most-read journals in chemistry-related sciences. This position offers a unique opportunity to join a mission-driven organization, supporting the dissemination of scientific information globally, and to lead a technology team with a growth mindset in a vibrant and energetic environment.
The key outcomes of this position are the department’s ability to achieve the following:
1. Ensure coverage of mission-critical systems supporting ACS Publications’ Global Production & Operations (GPO) as a primary internal client.
2. Deliver solutions-focused responsiveness to time-sensitive production problems.
3. Drive new product development and delivery efforts outside of the traditional GPO inventory.
4. Provide expansion capability for existing services, including but not limited to domestic and off-shore vendor workflows and deliveries.
5. Proactively identify and address server, system, and application problems.
Primary responsibilities of the Operations Lead are as follows:
1. Leads the technology team that provides support for publishing systems and applications.
2. Ensures system and application support team assignments and knowledge are developed and in place.
3. Manage client expectations through effective communications that include skilled listening to understand their challenges, and articulate sharing of IT-related opportunities and challenges that both educate and inform.
4. Leads the development and implementation of operational dashboard(s) to identify and alert when systems and businesses are impacted.
5. Develops and delivers on-going operational metrics and system/application KPIs.
6. Performs a project and task leadership role for application development projects as needed.
7. Develops applications using an accepted ACS software development lifecycle methodology.
8. Stays abreast of industry developments and communicates opportunities and threats to management.
1. College degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent experience. Advanced degree preferred.
2. Competency in business analysis and requirements definition.
3. Expertise in Unix, XML/XSL, web services, and relational databases.
4. Experience with release/code management tools (Bamboo, Maven, Eclipse) and application development experience preferred.
5. Effective communications skills for interacting with internal clients and users.
6. Leadership ability and a willingness to take ownership of projects and tasks.
1.10 years total including 3 years in a technology support lead role.
2. Experience in publishing preferred but not required.
Nearest Major Market: Columbus
Job Segment: Developer, Product Development, Computer Science, Application Developer, Unix, Technology, Research
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled