The Gem City Market is seeking a General Manager, responsible for the successful operation and profitability of an independent cooperative grocery store located in Dayton, OH. Gem City Market is currently under construction, and will be a vibrant, community-centered grocery store serving Northwest Dayton. The cooperative is community- and worker-owned and mission-driven, and will be a unique shopping experience for our customers, bringing food access to neighborhoods currently without a full service market.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and vision to the store, and be responsible for meeting the goal of providing quality products at competitive prices while maintaining excellent customer service in a friendly, clean, and safe work environment.
Key required functions include, but are not limited to:
Employee hiring and directing staff
Marketing, inventory and price management;
Maintaining the Cooperative’s mission, policies and procedures.
The General Manager will report directly to the Gem City Market Board of Directors.
Required qualifications include:
- Retail grocery management experience and/or extensive retail management experience including extensive supervisory experience
- Computer literacy including Word, email, spreadsheets, point of sale
- Experience with operating, capital, and cash budgeting
- Ability to interpret financial statements to laypeople
- Strong ethical and professional standards
- Demonstrated history of accountability to multiple stakeholders (e.g. owners, customers, staff)
- Ability to motivate, lead, and coordinate people to gain cooperation
- Ability to build an effective management team
- Demonstrated effective time management
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce
Salary and benefits are competitive and include the opportunity to become an owner of the Market as part of the cooperative.