Do you have a desire to work for an organization driven by empowerment and full inclusion? Goodwill Easter Seals Miami Valley is one of the largest employers in the region; with the mission to empower those with disadvantages and disabilities to improve their quality of life. We employ over 600 associates just in our retail stores alone. GESMV also offers over 40 programs and services to the community ranging from job readiness programs to assistive technology services. We are always looking for driven, enthusiastic people to join our team.
Activity Specialist DD
The Activity Specialist works with a team to support adults with developmental disabilities in making a positive difference in their lives by:
- Assisting with daily living skills.
- Teaching skills and modeling behavior to improve independence and responsible behavior.
- Implementing activities that are functional, person centered, community inclusive and age appropriate.
- Actively working with a diverse population of individuals with varying levels of skills and needs.
- Assuring individuals receiving services are the focus of each day’s activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitate individualized, purposeful and diverse activities based upon participant interests, strengths, needs, and choices as described in the Individual Service Plan. Incorporate various teaching strategies utilizing available curriculum and encompassing all areas of life domains, including potential employment opportunities.
- Provide individual instruction and skill development in the areas of personal care, making meaningful choices about daily activities, and community inclusion opportunities.
- Intervene therapeutically during crisis situations as needed.
- Assist with personal care including transferring persons as needed.
- Drive agency van to pick up and return program participants. Safely operate wheelchair lift on agency van.
- Maintain and update required program documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor Degree in human services or related field preferred; Associate Degree in Human Services plus 1 year experience; or equivalent considered. Increased years of experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
One year experience in Human Services field preferred.
Must maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record acceptable to Goodwill's liability insurance provider.
Must maintain the ability to pass a criminal background check and random drug screens.
Skills & Abilities
- Use of discretion and independent judgment in oversight responsibilities and the delivery of services required.
- Ability to provide therapeutic interventions during crisis situations and to effectively communicate with both verbal and non-verbal individuals.
- Ability to encourage and enhance involvement with guardians, families, significant others, community and other service providers.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Goodwill Easter Seals Miami Valley is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action (AA) compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all employment decisions, including, but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions, and terminations.