Title: Bus Driver
Reports to: Head Bus Driver
- Maintain proper CDL as required by the State of Ohio
- Pass a drug screening as required
- Pass a BCI and FBI background check when required
- Ability to read and interpret a map
- Read and write in English at a level sufficient to successfully perform required duties
- Understand and carry out both oral and written instructions in an independent manner
- Recognize mechanical safety hazards in a bus
- Operate a two-way radio using required codes
- Meet physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform the required duties
To transport students to and from school sites, and assure their safety while passengers are on the school bus. This job class is responsible for ensuring the safety of all passengers and students while operating the assigned bus and for ensuring the assigned bus is in a safe operating condition at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain proper conduct and safety of passengers on school bus.
- Accept and relate to students with a variety of exceptional needs.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationship with those contacted in the performance of duties.
- Exercise good judgement and extreme caution while operating a school bus.
- Remain calm in an emergency situation.
- All drivers must be at work 15 minutes prior to assigned leave time, no exceptions.
- Drivers are responsible for fueling their bus, and keeping a monthly transportation log. (NO bus shall be less than 1/2 full)
- Conducts established pre-trip and post-trip, safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily.
- Drives school bus safely in accordance with time schedules; transporting students to and from their homes, a variety of school sites, and on field trips as assigned.
- Operate two-way radios for school business only.
- Oversee the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual, or designated place of safety. KG & 1st graders are not to be dropped off without a parent visible at the stop.
- Maintains order and proper discipline of passengers; resolving disputes, documents and reports all disciplinary cases.
- Assures maintenance of bus in safe and clean operating condition; reporting needed mechanical repairs, installing special safety belts, sweeping interior of the bus daily and washing windows as needed.
- Assist the transportation supervisor in maintaining assigned routes, and adjusting for new and/or dropped students.
- Administer first aid and/or call for emergency assistance when needed.
- Maintain a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing, maintenance and time schedules.
- Attends meetings, programs and in-service training as assigned.
- Maintain current required licenses and certificates.
- Keep a daily record of discipline on bus, with or without write-ups.
- Follow procedures to guarantee no child is left alone on the bus after morning, evening, and all trips.
- Routinely inventory emergency equipment and first aid supplies, and notify supervisor of usage.
- Stop bus to load and unload students at designated bus stops only.
- Does not alter route without prior authorization.
- Notify appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route.
- Assist with other routes when breakdowns or other unusual circumstances occur, as assigned by Head of Transportation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Responsible for washing bus three times per year.
- The bus driver will also perform any assigned duties deemed necessary by the Head of Transportation, or Superintendent.
To Apply: Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bus Driver” in the subject line.