At QBE, our purpose is to give people the confidence to achieve their ambitions inside and outside of work. From development opportunities, to flexible work options and highly competitive reward and benefits packages, we understand the importance of living our values when it comes to our people. Everything we do at QBE is underpinned by our company's cultural elements - because we know it's not just what we do that matters, it's how we do it that makes the difference.
This opportunity is accountable for implementing assigned line(s) of business strategy by assisting with business development and growth through building relationships within assigned customers and applying sound decision-making to underwrite business that contributes to a profitable portfolio. Responsibilities include new business production, renewal retention and the overall profitability of assigned book of business. Line(s) of business may include Accident and Health, Aviation, Corporate, Excess and Surplus (E&S), Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Inland Marine, Professional Lines, Multi-national, Property, Trade Credit & Surety and Transactional Liability.
* Review, evaluate and price moderately complex business by applying sound underwriting judgment and adhering to company policy and state regulations within established authority
* Identify and minimize risks by utilizing due diligence and applying sound judgment to escalate underwriting issues when necessary and recommend opportunities for a profitable portfolio
* Ensure adherence to underwriting standards, objectives and guidelines of program by maintaining files in accordance with policy and procedures to minimize risk
* Assist with improvements in underwriting practices, pricing and marketing strategies by providing feedback to upper level underwriting professionals to communicate industry best practices
* Mentor junior underwriters by managing projects and training initiatives, answering escalated questions and reviewing financial statement and securities valuation analyses to ensure efficient team performance and profitable delivery
* Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
* Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and good practice to minimize risk and maximize efficiency
* Contribute to recording and measurement of insurance risks to ensure accuracy and good practice
* Ensure review and analysis of the portfolio to identify progress toward business objectives
* Research and obtain market intelligence in order to enhance organizational profit goals
* Establish and maintain relationships with producers and customers to understand their needs and sell products that respond to their needs
* Foster strong partnerships with customers by informing on new products and programs, communicating opportunities for continuous improvement and clarifying and explaining underwriting decisions to ensure understanding of assigned line/s of business goals and objectives
* Contribute to assigned special projects by assisting with audits, participating in department product and process improvement initiatives
* Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating cultural expectations and influencing others to reward performance and value can do people, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
4 years relevant experience
* Use multiple resources to gather and analyze information and use logic to underwrite complex risks
* Use wise, astute and insightful judgment and individual credibility to make autonomous, sound underwriting decisions
* Prioritize interests of the company and community during decision-making
* Effectively and efficiently present logic, reasoning, and analysis to managers
* Negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups to settle differences with minimum noise
* Win concessions without damaging relationships
* Recommend improvement opportunities and translate them into tangible business deliverables
* Clearly and confidently convey information to a wide audience
* Show drive and initiative
* High attention to detail
* Act fairly, ethically and with integrity when decision-making
* Maintain confidentiality of private or sensitive information
* Multi-task and handle competing priorities; adapt and be flexible in a complex changing environment
* Keep an open mind, consider unique approaches and be open to change and considerable variety in the workplace
* Professional, polished, poised and positive demeanor
Preferred Education Specifics
Degree in Business, insurance, or related field
* Insurance industry experience
Depending on assigned line(s) of business
specific participation and memberships are preferred and may include one or more of the following: Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) or Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) designation
Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU)
* Broad working knowledge of insurance products and insurance concepts
* Broad working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
* Broad working knowledge of underwriting processes and procedures
* Broad working knowledge of laws and regulations related to area of responsibility
* Broad knowledge of risk profiling, pricing tools and loss models
* Insurance business acumen
QBE Cultural DNA
Everything we do at QBE is underpinned by our DNA (which interlinks seven cultural elements) - because we know it's not just what we do that matters, it's how we do it that makes the difference. We expect all employees to role model and inspire the right behaviors that link to our cultural elements:
*We are customer-centered
*We are technical experts
*We are diverse
*We are fast-paced
*We are courageous
*We are accountable
*We are a team
All employees are expected to adhere to QBE's Code of Ethics and Conduct and apply sound risk management practices
Occasional (approximately 5-10 trips annually)
General office jobs: Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is not substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Must have the ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Must be able to operate basic office equipment including telephone, headset and computer. Incumbent must be able to lift basic office equipment up to 20 lbs.
To successfully perform this job, the individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
The duties listed in this job description do not limit the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the duties normally to be performed in the position or those occasionally assigned outside an employee's normal duties.Our Group Code of Ethics and Conduct addresses the responsibilities we all have at QBE to our company, to each other and to our customers, suppliers, communities and governments. It provides clear guidance to help us to make good judgement calls.
Number of Openings:
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The companies of QBE North America are committed to equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, citizenship, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. All personal information contained in this application will be kept confidential as required by law.