DISTINGUISHING JOB CHARACTERISTICS
- Maintain knowledge of, compliance with, and ability to impact the policies and procedures of the Allen County Juvenile Court, and those of the Allen County Juvenile Detention Center, as well as chapter 5139-37 of the Ohio Administrative Code.
- Visually monitor and control residents behavior in daily programs by observing behaviors, maintaining control, and administering disciplinary sanctions in accordance with policy.
- Supervise and direct the activities of residents in daily program by observing behaviors, maintaining control, and administering disciplinary sanctions in accordance with policy.
- Attend to the basic needs of the residents to include providing adequate food, shelter, and clothing.
- Set a positive example for residents by professional and responsible adult behavior.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Display professional behavior and conduct.
- Maintain the Facility in a secure, safe, sanitary, and organized manner.
- Make sound and reasonable decisions and judgments regarding daily operations and emergency situations.
- Conduct visual bed checks by observing and communicating with residents confined to rooms.
- Complete daily room searches by established procedures to control contraband and provide for the safety and security of the facility, residents, and staff.
- Prepare for and attend visitation, check and verify visitor identification, communicate and enforce visitation rules and policies.
- Document, search, and process the resident's property upon intake and post-intake.
- Assist residents with self-administration of prescribed medications. Confirm proper administration of medications through observation and verification. Ensure that all residents taking medications are self-administering the proper dose through cross checking with the med chart. Ensure that all doses of medication administered are accounted for by having residents sign the med chart for each individual dose. Maintain accountability of all medicines through daily preparation and verification of med charts.
- Create, prepare, write and maintain required and applicable information in records, incident reports, intake logs, general forms, daily logs, medical charts, and all other forms or documents as required.
- Launder, mark, fold, dispense and properly store clothing, bedding, and linens as required.
- Complete routine and/or special cleaning assignments as scheduled or directed.
- Complete 80 hours of pre-service training as directed. Demonstrate proficiency through completion of a pre-service or post-promotional assessment. Attend in-service training programs as required, and complete a minimum of 40 hours of training per year.
- Resolve problems, intervene in disturbances, and ensure safety and security of staff, civilians, and residents.
- Complete Suicide Lethality Interviews and appropriate follow-up to ensure the safety of the resident in crisis.
- Record the resident's behaviors, moods, and attitudes by completing the appropriate documentation as per policy.
- Maintain the ability to operate all security equipment as well as an understanding of all security features and functions of the facility and equipment (Control Room, Doors, Wing Gates, Audible Monitors, Video Monitors, Handcuffs, Shackles, O.C. Defensive Aerosol, Man-Down Alert System, Panic Buttons, Direct Line Telephones, Radio Communications, etc.)
- Document damages, needed maintenance, and repair requests as per policy.
- Complete and document the daily security check as per policy.
- Remove items from resident's rooms, change resident room assignments, or place residents into a holding room for observation as directed by the officer in charge, established policy, or if the situation requires such to ensure the safe, secure, and orderly operation of the facility.
- Confer with Supervisors on overall operations and programmatic functions of the Facility and give input to the development and design of programs, policies and procedures.
- Transport residents to scheduled appointments, emergent hospital visits, court appearances, etc.
- Always maintain supervision of all residents under escort. Prevent the escape of any resident attempting such whenever possible.
- Assist in the kitchen when necessary or as directed. Prepare and serve meals as per established policy.
- Receive, check and process deliveries to the facility.
- Receive, search, and process all intakes to the facility as per established policy.
- Process releases from the facility as per established policy.
- Complete Control Room Duties, identify and log all visitors, log all resident movement, control ingress and egress to/from the facility, answer the telephone in a professional manner, transfer calls, monitor the audible security system, monitor the video security system, and monitor the man-down system whenever covering the control room.
- Exercise self-restraint and non-personal prejudice when dealing/interacting with residents.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This job description in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the employee filing this position, who will be required to follow instructions and perform any duties required by the employee's supervisor or designee.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of: Chapter 5139-37 of the Ohio Administrative Code. The facility's chain of command and its operational and programmatic functions. The Court & Facility's policy & procedures manual.
- The facility's emergency procedures, the Juvenile Justice System, and acceptable work ethics.
- Ability to: Impart supervision, leadership, direction and guidance to staff in practical work situations and emergencies. Develop a positive rapport and maintain effective working relationships with residents, staff, and the public. Communicate effectively and accurately and disseminate and reiterate information. Exercise sound judgment in dealing with possible sensitive personnel issues. Analyze problems and recommend viable solutions. Detect noises and visually observe activities for safety and security. Plan and organize work duties in addition to assigned or delegated duties and responsibilities in a manner acceptable to management. Maintain operational focus, efficiency, professionalism, and positive work results in a high stress environment.
- Skilled in: Verbal de-escalation of angry, hostile, or violent residents. Defensive tactics regarding response to resistance. Responding to and decision-making during emergency situations. Detecting and mitigating threats to facility security and/or the safety of the residents, staff, and public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Associate Degree in Criminal Justice, or Social Services related fields preferred.
- Valid Driver's License
- Ability to pass a comprehensive drug screen
- Ability to pass pre-employment testing and successfully complete the training and probation periods
- Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment, in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Ohio Motor Vehicle Operator's License or equivalent
- Certification in the use of O.C. Defensive Aerosol, or ability to acquire the same within 6 months of appointment.
Non-Employees must submit an employee application which can be downloaded at: https://allenohioprobate.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Application-2020.pdf
To Apply: Submit resume, application, and cover letter to Tessa.Laing@jfs.ohio.gov