Date: Oct 1, 2020
Location:Columbus, OH, US, 43202
Company: American Chemical Society
CAS uses unparalleled scientific content, specialized technology and unmatched human expertise to help R&D organizations across Commercial, Government and Academic sectors create groundbreaking innovations that benefit the world. As the Scientific Information Solutions Division of the American Chemical Society, CAS manages the largest curated reservoir of scientific knowledge, and for 112 years, has helped innovators mine, assess and apply that information to keep businesses thriving. The CAS team is global, diverse, endlessly curious and strives to make actionable scientific insights accessible to innovators worldwide.
CAS is currently seeking an Intern for the Summer of 2021 to work in its Data, Analytics and Insights (DAI) division. This position will be located in our headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.
DAI interns are passionate about data and applying analytical methods while simultaneously understanding the business context in order to arrive at a solution. Over the course of the internship the intern will work their way through our methodology (Business Understanding, Data Understanding, Data Preparation, Modeling and Evaluation), leverage vast quantities of data and build an accurate mathematical model.
• Develop, plan, and execute an analytical project as an individual contributor
• Synthesize analytical findings for consumption by senior business executives
• Organize data from many different types of sources and at significantly varying scales for subsequent analysis
• Critically evaluate data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
• Solve an unusual problem using a combination of appropriate statistics, machine learning, and computational methods
• Create a consulting-quality, final presentation and poster describing results with visualizations in a manner that CAS employees at-large can understand
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Must be at least senior in standing starting with the fall semester of 2021
• Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or Industrial Engineering
• Experience with Python or R, and SQL
• Demonstrated analytical, multi-tasking, problem solving, organizational, and planning skills
• Ability to interpret reports, analyze trends and provide insights
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate complicated statistical analytical concepts to business stakeholders in a simplified, comprehendible manner.
Candidates for this position must be authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future. EEO/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Nearest Major Market: Columbus
Job Segment: Consulting, Computer Science, Physics, SQL, Technology, Research, Science
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled