Direct Support Professional Job Responsibilities:
- Provides direct care to those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Performs personal care tasks, including assistance with basic personal hygiene and grooming, feeding, and ambulation, medical monitoring, and health care related tasks.
- Fosters positive relationships between caretakers and individuals served.
- Ensures client safety and maintaining a safe environment.
- Reminds and assists clients with self-administration of medications (with proper training).
- Encourages self-help activities.
- Reports changes in client’s condition or family situation to administrators and supervisors.
- Documents services provided.
- Performs home management functions such as light housekeeping, laundry, bed making, and cleaning.
- Plans meals, shopping for groceries, preparing and serving food/meals, feeding and clean-up.
- Accompanies clients to scheduled appointments and transports clients or running errands for clients.
- Assists with toileting, including bedpans, urinals, and commode chairs as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Direct Support Professional Qualifications / Skills:
- Ability to work in a group home, home-like settings
- Communication skills (verbally and written) with all levels of personnel, internal and external to the company
- Ability to handle physical aspects of job, including bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching, and walking for periods of time
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid driver’s license