QUALIFICATIONS: A 2 or 4 year degree in an agricultural curriculum with an emphasis in production is preferred. Experience in personnel management preferred.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Assumes direct or indirect responsibility for all aspects of the farm. Has knowledge of animal care, biosecurity, facilities upkeep and maintenance, farrowing, breeding, gilt development, record keeping, supply management, and people management.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: For the physical requirements of this job, please see Human Resources.
- Takes an active role in the management of their location
- Exhibits and shows a desire to learn core leadership qualities
- Makes strong, confident decisions on a daily basis
- Promotes communication between farm management and team members
- Maintains safe work habits and a positive safety attitude
- Demonstrates animal care in all areas of production and ensures that animal care is being applied by all employees
- Follows all bio-security measures and maintains proper herd health
- Monitor animals daily for feed, water, comfort, and health concerns
- Be familiar with and enforce all aspects of bio-security policy
- Administer medicines and vaccines as directed
- Ensure daily animal handling activities are done in accordance with SOP
- Takes responsibility for alarm calls and all calls related to such
- Closely monitors ventilation and environment of buildings
- Keeps facilities clean and well maintained
- Keeps accurate and timely records
- Performs work as directed
- Holds team members accountable and accepts responsibility for their actions
- Promotes team member participation in Gainsharing
- Maintains a cooperative attitude with all team members and other management
In all areas described above, the individual should project a positive image, show a high level of responsibility, cooperate and communicate well with management staff, and promote safety and the future growth of the company.