Responsible for all aspects of billing and collections processes for assigned clients, practice area and/or billing attorneys. Manages a portfolio of matters and ensures that the portfolio and individual matters meet firm standards for billing and collections. Interacts with partners, management, practice area, clients, and staff, which requires strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Processes proformas and write-offs, prepares and edits invoices, and generates reminder statements for assigned clients and billing attorneys.
• Analyzes weekly and monthly Matter Management and Budget reports. Communicates trends to billing attorneys, practice area managers, and other key personnel in a timely manner.
• Reviews internal credit history for new matters and ensures that client account meets Firm standards.
• Reviews, analyzes, and ensures compliance with outside counsel guidelines.
• Analyzes WIP, AR, DSO, aging levels, and unapplied cash to assist billing attorneys meet defined billing and collection goals and to improve cash cycle.
• Liaises with clients’ Accounts Payable department and clients’ law department administrators to resolve and process invoices and payments, including e-billing.
• Manages client invoice receipts and delinquent client accounts; resolves collections issues.
• Represents the Finance department firm wide and answers questions from clients, billing attorneys, practice area, management, timekeepers, and staff regarding all aspects of the billing and collection process.
• Works with other firm’s departments to maintain and update client matter files with respect to rates, addresses and contact information, special billing agreements, disbursement requirements, and markups/discounts.
• Identifies, reviews, and analyzes billing and collections trends for assigned clients and billing attorneys and makes recommendations to respond to the needs of clients. Maintains current knowledge of industry practices.
• Resolves client issues and escalates issues as needed to Client Account Manager.
• Generates reports for assigned billing attorneys.
• Assists billing attorneys to develop monthly, quarterly, and annual billing forecasts and budgets. Reports on progress on a weekly basis and informs department management of any changes in the forecast.
• Adheres to accounting principles and controls and ensures integrity of accounting data, as well as to Wilmer Hale’s billing, collections, financial, and planning policies, processes, and procedures.
• Meets defined performance metrics and assists the Billing & Collections Team to meet departmental performance metrics.
• Contributes to the Firm's Service Matters initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a "can do" attitude to internal members/departments of the Firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
• Knowledge and understanding of broad range of accounting policies and procedures and use of both accounting and collections software systems
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
• Ability to perform complex financial analysis
• Strong oral and written communication skills to convey professionalism and understanding
• Ability to interact with all levels of personnel, and interact and function as part of a team to foster smooth efficient workflow
• Ability to prioritize and handle diverse tasks
• Ability to respond to management needs
• Effective problem solving, and decision making skills
• Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office products
• Preferred experience in service industry billing and collections software
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance required or equivalent experience
• Legal or professional service industry preferred
• Minimum 4 years’ experience in billing and collections preferred
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability