POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES:
The Trainer is responsible for the efficient and effective hands-on training of new and veteran vehicle operators or other staff members that are required to operate in revenue service. The Trainer will be a key position for the delivery of new hire and refresher or remedial training. In addition, the trainer will assist in organizing training events and coordinating all associated record keeping needs.
- Performs training in some or all of the following areas:
- Behind-The-Wheel (BTW) – Fixed Route
- BTW – Paratransit/Demand Response
- BTW - Remedial
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- CPR/First Aid
- Studies and is familiar with all BCRTA training tools/policies/procedures.
- Familiarized with pricing of trips, area covered by BCRTA, and all other BCRTA service information.
- Maintains knowledge by attending train-the-trainer and refresher classes.
- Assists with creating, maintaining, and properly filing detailed training records.
- Completes annual recertification as required.
- Coordinates with Operations to correct or retrain employees in any recommended areas of concern.
- Enforces rules and procedures as outlined in BCRTA handbook and documents.
- Maintains composure and acts thoughtfully under pressure.
- Works proficiently with computer and software to accomplish limited administrative tasks.
- Ability to perform duties of a Vehicle Operator.
- Safely operates vehicles, tests, and inspects equipment in accordance with pre-trip vehicle inspection procedures.
- Requests appropriate service and maintenance on BCRTA vehicles when necessary.
- Maintains proper radio communication with dispatch during revenue service and responds to all instructions and related requests in a timely basis.
- Highlights areas for service improvement and communicates needs with management.
- Inspects bulletin board and checks mailbox/email/Paycom each workday.
- Fills out all training forms as required providing necessary detail and submitting to proper recipient(s) in a timely manner.
- Reports all accidents immediately and submits a written report within twenty-four hours.
- Attends court proceedings when necessary.
- Prioritizes tasks to achieve maximum efficiency
- Reports time off and any safety issues to the Manager of Safety and Training or his designee.
- Acts as a BCRTA ambassador, projects a positive attitude, and promotes superior customer service.
This description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an employee in this job. Employees are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Physical & Visual Activities:
Physically and mentally qualified to safely operate transit vehicles and perform all related essential job functions. (Subject to applicable legal requirements, must meet the physical qualification standards specified in the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.)
Physical Abilities include:
- Floor Lift a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Knee lift strength of at least 30 lbs.
- Waist lift strength of at least 50 lbs.
- Chest lift strength of at least 20 lbs.
- Overhead lift strength of at least 20 lbs.
- Horizontal push/pull strength of at least 80 lbs.
- Medium agility/dynamic balance
- Low finger dexterity
- Low manual dexterity
- Continuous ability to stay seated
- Continuous ability to twist and turn head
- Frequently able to bend over/stoop
- Frequently able to climb steps
- Kneel or squat
- Reach overhead
- Occasional exposure to exhaust fumes.
- 75% outdoor conditions and onboard bus or other vehicles
- 25% office and training room
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to negotiate, train and persuade.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and instruments
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend corrective courses of action.
- Ability to multitask in a quick-paced environment without forgetting details
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates excellent command of the English language.
- Work under frequent periods of stress.
- Performs as an effective team player.
- Ability to perform simple math.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Applications.
Ex Exp Experience:
- One-year experience as BCRTA vehicle operator or equivalent.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Valid Class A or B CDL with a passenger endorsement - no air brake restriction, or ability to obtain
- Certified First Aid and CPR trainer, or ability to obtain
- Completion of, or ability to complete BCRTA Behind-The-Wheel Trainer Program
Applications are public records and will only be reviewed once for each position. Applicants must submit a separate application for each position of interest. BCRTA applications do not represent a contract of employment.
"BCRTA states as its policy a commitment to provide equal opportunity to all persons in matters affecting all employment processes (including but not limited to recruitment or recruitment advertising, hiring, upgrading, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation) without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, or veterans status.
Further, BCRTA is committed to complying with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act and prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. BCRTA will make accommodations that are reasonable and not unduly burdensome to enable qualified disabled applicants and employees to participate in the employment process and perform essential job functions. "