LPN- Healthy Weight and Nutrition
Day shift, 40 hours
Provides technical nursing care to acute and chronically ill children from the age of birth to 21 years and selected adults patients, under the direction of a lead RN nurse, and in accordance with the Ohio Board of Nursing Law and Rule. (Sections 4723-4-01, Ohio Administrative Code or OAC, 4723-4-04, OAC, 4723-4-06, OAC, and 4723-4-08 OAC). Demonstrates competence defined (*) in LPN responsibilities in providing age appropriate care and service to pediatric patients from birth to 21 years, and selected adults. This LPN demonstrates competencies defined in 'Principal Duties and Responsibilities.
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital?
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children's Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We're 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we'll never even meet.Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takesaCollaborative Cultureto deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to fosternewdiscoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children's badge what they do for a living. They'll tell you it's More Than a Job. It's a calling. It's achanceto use and grow your talent to make an impact thattrulymatters.Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children's Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
1. LPNs at Nationwide Children's Hospital assist with the following clinical tasks:
a. Rooming of patients
b. Vital signs
c. Heights and weights
d. Screening questions, transcribing patient or families responses into the medical record such as:
2. Collects and reports data to a Licensed Professional, including any abnormal findings and documents all findings in the medical record. Maintains accountability for own actions in completing tasks within the LPN scope of practice.
3. Performs only medical procedures that are approved for an LPN to perform at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
*4. Administers and documents medications by all routes, i.e. oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intradermal, transdermal, rectal and aerosol, utilizing the five rights and all other related safety recommendations.
5. Demonstrates basic written and verbal communication skills to convey nursing actions and patient's/family response.
6. Demonstrates sound clinical decision making.
7. Communicates and documents patient response to care.
8.Provides input into revision of plan and care based upon data collectedand identified patient/family needs.
9. Acts as a patient/family advocate.
10. Demonstrates positive, effective, and age appropriate interaction skills with patient/family, physicians and other health care team members.
*11.Provides instructions and explains procedures to patients/families according to established standards.
*12. Reinforces teaching related to diagnosis and home-going instructions.
*13. Assists with examinations and treatments.
14. Uses established channels of communication to seek assistance, obtain clarification, share information and offer suggestions.
15. Demonstrates respect and understanding of the roles of other health care team members in the provision of patient/family care.
16. Develops a beginning awareness of research, participates in unit based research and evidence based practice evaluations.
17. Participates in unit quality improvement activities.
18. Participates in assessing own educational needs.
19. Formulates annual goals and develops a plan to accomplish them.
20. Pursues learning opportunities through attendance at in-service programs, continuing education, reading and/or formal education programs.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Prepares medical record for patient/family visits, including pre-visit data gathering.
2. Greets patient/families and escorts to exam rooms. Updates patients/families in the waiting area regarding waiting time, delays as directed.
3. Assists with general reception filing, record keeping, and copying.
4. Obtains release of information forms and adheres to HIPAA regulations regarding protected health information.
5. Places lab data in the medical record.
6. Answers phones and directs questions appropriately.
7. Follows up on missed appointments and makes patient reminder calls as directed.
8. Orders and stocks supplies as needed.
9. Schedules patient appointments as directed.
10. Manages time and resources to complete assigned tasks in an efficient manner.
1. Assists in maintaining a safe clean environment for patients and families.
2. Performs cleaning duties as assigned.
3. Checks electrical equipment for inspection stickers/expiration date.
4. Reports supply/equipment problems to supervisor.
5. Assures that Joint Commission Environment of Care standards are maintained in clinic.
6. Follows safety and emergency policies/procedures, OSHA standards/universal precautions.
Reports to:Program Manager, Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition; Director, Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
Must be a graduate of an approved school of practical or vocational nursing.
Must be licensed as a Practical Nurse in the State of Ohio.
Must complete an Ohio Board of Nursing approved medication test, such as NAPNES (National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service) or OAPNES (Ohio Association for Practical Nurse Education Service.)
Must satisfactorily complete orientation objectives as determined by the manager.
Minimum Physical Requirements
Must be able to see, hear, stand, walk, speak, read and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation, and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
Must be able to independently lift up to 25 lbs.
Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.