Physician Assistant- Neonatology
Nursing, Allied Health, Other
Must have experience as a NICU PA provider or evidence of completion of an extended NICU training program.
1.0FTE, 40 hrs/week
Exempt. Benefits eligible
Practices in accordance with the philosophy, policies, procedures and standards of NCH; functions within the Physician Assistant (PA) Practice Guidelines Supervisory Plan agreed upon by the Medical and Patient Care Services department. The PA under the supervision and direction of a physician, assists in a broad range of patient management activities.The PA under the supervision and direction of the physician, completes comprehensive medical histories, performs physical exams, initiates routine lab studies and diagnostic testing and implements treatment plans including prescribing within there approved formulary approved by physician. The PA can provide patient education. Also the PA may assist in surgery, suture, splinting, and casting. Demonstrates competencies defined in PA responsibilities in providing age-appropriate care to pediatric patients and adult patients. Provides family-centered care to meet such family needs as psycho-social support, education, and discharge planning in conjunction with the discharge planner, RN/Care Manager, and other related disciplines. Initiates and participates in education, research, professional, and organizational activities that contribute to improving patient care, the scientific knowledge base of medicine program operation, or their own professional development. Also mentors others in the area of clinical competence and professional development.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. When you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children's Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We are 13,000 strong. It takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we will never even meet.Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takesaCollaborative Cultureto deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to fosternewdiscoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children's badge what they do for a living. They will tell you it's More Than a Job. It's a calling. It's achanceto use and grow your talent to make an impact thattrulymatters.Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children's Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Patient Management: Functions within the PA Practice Guidelines (supervisory plan) developed by their supervising physician and submitted to the Section / Department Chief and Patient Care Services Credentialing Committee.
2. Elicits records and interprets a complete health history and notes its significance for the care of the patient under the direction of the supervising physician(s). Performs admission histories and physicals. Performs primary evaluations on new patientsManage the care and treatment of patients within current standards of medical practice protocol.
3. Selects and orders tests necessary to augment physical findings, and distinguishes between normal and abnormal findings. These tests/orders may include but are not limited to: radiological studies, laboratory tests, and EKGs, under the direction of physician.
4. Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, under supervision of physician, according to established protocols, as necessary for care of the patient. Such procedures are based in their specialty area and according to their supervisory plan submitted to the Medical Board but may include: lumbar puncture; closed chest needle aspirations; insertion of chest tubes; venipunctures; arterial punctures; determination of need for respiratory assistance, suturing, I&D of abscesses, removal of central line drains, splinting, casting and applying and adjusting traction.
5. Orders medications under the supervision of the physician in accordance with the approved PA formulary.
6. Based on physical examination and other data under directions of physician, formulates problem list and plan of care with expected outcomes; implements, evaluates, and revises as needed.
7. Documents and effectively communicates the plan of care and patient progress in the medical record. Communicates the plan appropriately to the primary care physician or referring physician if applicable, assists in completion of discharge summaries.
8. Initiates consults to specialists, and other health professionals under the direction of their physician.
9. Performs in the operating room or performs minor outpatient surgical procedures as defined in their supervisory plan.
10. In conjunction with the health care team: Meets specific emotional/support needs of families and facilities resolution of the parent's psychosocial concerns, initiating interdisciplinary involvement as indicated. Participates in family teaching and discharge planning as necessary. Communicates with the health care team concerning data relevant to patient and/or family needs.
11. Maintains clinical competency, and stays informed of current trends in their specialty.
12. Performs appropriate documentation for clinical practices and procedures, regulatory agency requirements organizational mandates, and board requirement.
13. Maintains professional accreditation through continued education and development. Participates in medical in-services. Attends educational opportunities to achieve minimal professional requirements.Maintain annual competency requirements including Quality assurance.
14. Participates in the orientation of new PAs, APNs or students, or medical practitioners.
15. Provides patient and family education in collaboration with supervising physicians. Assists in development of any needed educational resources for families related to their subspecialty and in collaboration with the physicians.
16. Identifies patient problems suitable for research, and participates with research activities within their specialty practice.
17. Maintains involvement with professional organizations to promote collegiality and networking.
18. Participates in department and hospital committees; assists in the development and evaluation of quality management programs, patient care standards, and department/specialty objectives.18. Participates in peer review processes to evaluate patient care and competencies as required.
19. Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Master's Degree
2. Ability to prescribe
3. Completion of a PA program accredited by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA) of the American Medical Association.
4. Certified by the National Commission for Certification of Physicians Assistants (NCCPA).
5. Holds a certificate of registration to practice in the State of Ohio.
6. Two years previous experience in an acute care setting or ambulatory practice preferred.
7. Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrates leadership, interpersonal skills, teaching ability, advanced level of critical thinking and decision making.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Must be able to see, hear, stand, walk, speak, read and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation, and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
2. Must be able to independently lift up to 25lbs.
3. Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and / or equipment. The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.