Staff RN - Behavioral Health Child Unit
Part-Time hours and shifts available
32hr/week or 24hr/ week, working days, 7a - 3:30p, plus every other weekend
24hr/ week or 16hr/ week, working evenings, 3p - 11:30p, plus every other weekend
24hr/ week, working nights, 11p - 7:30a, plus every other weekend
1yr Psych Nursing experince
Assists patients to move rapidly, uneventfully, and as effectively as possible through their episode of care while maintaining quality and safety as a priority. Delegates, directs, oversees and provides developmentally appropriate patient care. Practices professional nursing and promotes patient advocacy in accordance with the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and maintains a current Ohio Nursing License.
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital?
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children's Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We're 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we'll never even meet.Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takesaCollaborative Cultureto deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to fosternewdiscoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children's badge what they do for a living. They'll tell you it's More Than a Job. It's a calling. It's achanceto use and grow your talent to make an impact thattrulymatters.Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children's Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
1. Uses nursing process, evidence based practice and unit specific competencies to:
a.Complete the admission assessment.
b. Documents shift charting based on the patient's plan of care.
c. Assures precise and comprehensive completion of all restraint and seclusion documentation.
d.Performs safe handoff and Zero Hero principles in accordance with practices established by the organization.
e.Document a plan of care including patient outcome parameters and nursing orders.
f. Delegate patient care.
g. Evaluate patient care and patient's response/progress.
h. Reassess patients and revise plan of care as appropriate.
i. Supervise patient care.
j. Plan discharge.
k. Plan, provide, delegate, and evaluate patient/family education.
l. Collaborate effectively with all health care disciplines to facilitate patient outcomes.
2. Communicates patient care needs/expectations/priorities to assigned Mental Health Technicians, Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Patient Care Assistants (PCAs), unit coordinators, and allied health personnel.
3. Effectively relates and interacts with patient, families, and health care teams utilizing Relationship Based Care, Primary Nursing, and Trauma Informed Care philosophies
4. Effectively manages patient care through one or more of the following:
a. Prescribing, delegating and coordinating care for patients.
b. Care conferences
c. Clinical rounds
d. Charge nurse responsibilities
e. Other coordination activities
f. Organizing and prioritizing care
g. Managing prescribed physician orders.
5. Participates with the interdisciplinary team in specialized patient care activities.
a. Provides encouragement support and reinforces positive behavior with a therapeutic, calm approach while maintaining therapeutic boundaries, setting limits, and utilizing de-escalation techniques, including physical intervention skills.
b. Demonstrates ability to identify and record relevant information for the most common diagnostic groups including:
Major Depressive Disorders (with and without psychotic features).
Bipolar Affective Disorder (including manic, depressed and mixed episode).
Psychotic Disorder (Including Schizophrenia & Subtypes)
Attention Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Intermittent Explosive Disorder.
Substance Abuse Disorders
Global Developmental Delays
c.Effectively establishes therapeutic relationships with patients and families on the unit using empathy and compassion.
6. Leads, or co-leads and/or reinforces therapeutic groups and teaching of symptom management, including relaxation techniques, anger management, therapeutic goal-setting, problem solving, coping skills, etc
7. Utilizes skills such as planning, support, engagement, crisis management interventions and structure to manage the milieu setting
8. Utilizes therapeutic, Trauma Informed intervention techniques before, during and after the time of crisis to support safe patient de-escalation
9.Assists with physical crisis intervention techniques and physical restraint during specific crisis situations per NCH policy
10. Maintains professional standards by setting professional goals and participating in activities to meet goals.
11. Adheres to unit/department budgetary standards.
a.Performs daily staffing, scheduling within budget parameters.
12. Participates in unit maintenance activities:
Pyxis and charge data collection.
Infection control activities
Point -of-care testing
Safety and Quality activities
13. Participates in Patient Care Services and Hospital activities in one or more of the following:
Policy/procedure review and revision.
Helping Hand review and revision.
Committee attendance and participation
14. Accepts and supports change in a positive manner
15. Participates in research, patient safety and quality improvement activities
16. Practices professional nursing in accordance with the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Scope and Standards of Practice.
17. Participates in educational activities in one or more of the following:
Serves as a preceptor/clinical resource
Orientation and continuing education
Clinical competency assessment
Planning and presenting classes.
18. Collaborates with patient and family to develop individual goals for plan of care and coordinates treatment goals with the inter-disciplinary team members; Engages the patient at the appropriate developmental level of functioning; and has good self-awareness of own triggers; Actively ensures a safe handoff and succinct shift report; Leads patient rounds for primary patients; Involves and educates families in the development and implementation of behavioral interventions and plans; Collaborates with clinicians, patients, agencies and/or families in establishing individual safety plans for discharge.
19. Must be able to exercise self-control in potentially volatile situations such as being verbally or physically confronted in a threatening or aggressive manner. Must demonstrate appropriate professional boundaries. Must be able to effectively multi-task which involves the ability to work and concentrate amidst distractions such as noise, conversation and foot traffic. Must be flexible, adaptable and not easily frustrated in dealing with differences of opinion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Licensure: Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Ohio.
2. Current CPR certification. Must be willing to obtain and maintain NRP and PALS certification as determined by your manager.
3. BSN; Associate degree with commitment to obtain BSN within 5 years of hire.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Typing on computer Constantly (67-100%) Using phone Frequently (34-66%) Sitting Frequently (34-66%) Standing Occasionally (0-33%) Lifting Occasionally (0-33%) Walking Frequently (34-66%)Must be able to independently lift up to 35 lbs. Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment.The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.