Respiratory Therapist Registered - PICU
Come work for an organization where everything matters.
Part-time position, working 36 hours per week, Night Shift/7pm-7am, Benefits Eligible
Looking for candidates with RT experience
Location: Main Campus PICU-H2B
The Registered Respiratory Therapist is responsible for independently utilizing current respiratory care administration and monitoring practices in accordance with the physician's order. Demonstrates competence defined (*) in Registered Respiratory Therapist responsibilities in providing age-appropriate care to patients from the age of birth to 21 years, and selected adult patients.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. When you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children's Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We are 12,000 strong. It takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we will never even meet.Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takesaCollaborative Cultureto deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to fosternewdiscoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children's badge what they do for a living. They will tell you it's More Than a Job. It's a calling. It's achanceto use and grow your talent to make an impact thattrulymatters.Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children's Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Reviews the patient chart for current respiratory care orders. Reviews other patient data (e.g., PFT's, ABG's, and history) to ensure appropriate planning and administration of ordered therapy.
2. Assesses the patient's cardio-respiratory status using techniques such as inspection, auscultation, lab values and X-rays to aide in the delivery of ordered therapy.
3. Assesses and documents the effectiveness of ordered respiratory care treatments. Monitors responses to therapy using clinical parameters such as HR, RR, color, WOB, and LOC.
4. Works closely with physicians and other health care team members. Recommends alternative modes of therapy when applicable.
5. Administers IPPB, PD&P, aerosol therapy, pulse oximetry, peak flows, oxygen, humidification therapy and other airway clearance devices. Delivers medications primarily by the aerosol route. Prepares and administers surfactant therapy. Performs and analyzes arterial blood gas samples. Performs set-up, calibration, and troubleshooting of the equipment for administration of medical gases (e.g., nitric oxide, carbair, carbogen, nitrogen) for cardiopulmonary conditions as ordered by the physician. Makes recommendations for management of the patient receiving the gas. Accurately documents all therapy performed.
6. Sets up, calibrates, and troubleshoots ventilators and O2 delivery devices. Assists in the cleaning and processing of equipment.
7. Performs ventilator management in all areas. Works with volume, pressure and high frequency ventilation. Monitors ventilatory volumes, pressures, inspired gas temperatures, oxygen concentrations, the patient's airway and the ventilator/patient interface. Advises the physician of changes in take patient status and recommends changes. Accurately documents ventilator parameters or other performed therapy.
8. Performs High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV) management. Appropriately calibrates, checks, evaluates and troubleshoots the HFOV.
9. Utilizes peripheral monitors such as ETC02, SV02 and TCM's.
10. Responds appropriately to all codes and traumas. Performs tasks within scope of practice (e.g., CPR, C-spine immobilization).
11. Performs ventilator transports within the hospital. If requested, may perform a transport with the transport team.
12. Responsible for the order entry and billing of services on the hospital computer system.
13. May performs arterial blood gas analyses, calibrates and maintains related equipment.
14. Assists in arrangements for home care patients to include patient/parent teaching, review of equipment, and cleaning techniques.
15. Accepts verbal orders from physicians that pertain to Respiratory Care and/or Patient Care Services policies and procedures in accordance with the verbal order policy of the Patient Care Services Department.
16. Performs work as assigned in the Emergency Department (ED). Fulfills all responsibilities related to respiratory care; performs ED-specific duties in collaboration with the ED charge nurse. May take vital signs; assist with triage; transport patients; etc.
17. Assists with nasotracheal and endotracheal intubation.
18. Provides age-appropriate basic and intermediate care to patients of all ages (neonates to adults).
19. Fulfills annual continuing education requirements for state licensure.
20. Performs other related duties as assigned.
21. Respiratory therapists are authorized to access the unit medication rooms or bedside medication drawers in order to retrieve medications they are authorized to administer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Registered Respiratory Therapist credentialed through the NBRC with licensure to practice in the State of Ohio by the Ohio Respiratory Care Board.
2. Associate's degree from and CO-ARC-accredited Respiratory Care program.
3. Must possess and maintain current CPR card, and obtain and maintain PALS certification.
4. Effective communication and interpersonal skills required in interactions with patients and parents, and hospital staff.
5. Ability to work under general supervision.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Must be able to see, hear, stand, walk, speak, read and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation, and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
Must be able to demonstrate use of fine motor skills.
Applies the principles of body mechanics in lifting or moving patients and/or equipment. Must be able to independently lift up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.