Do you have a desire to work for an organization driven by empowerment and full inclusion? Goodwill Easter Seals Miami Valley is one of the largest employers in the region; with the mission to empower those with disadvantages and disabilities to improve their quality of life. We employ over 600 associates just in our retail stores alone. GESMV also offers over 40 programs and services to the community ranging from job readiness programs to assistive technology services. We are always looking for driven, enthusiastic people to join our team.
ASL Job Coach (Part time/On Call)
Our Community Employment Department has a part-time/on-call ASL (American Sign Language) Job Coach position opening. We are looking for a Job Coach who is proficient in ASL. Who has a variety of work experience, knowledge of the current job market and insight to what employers need and expect from employees is highly desired. A job coach will provide assistance, encouragement and support to individuals with a variety of barriers as they learn their new job tasks to aid them in learning to performing their job independently and to the employer standards. The job coach will also help to educate the employer with best methods of communication and support to help the individual be successful in their job.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To be successful in this position you need to be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proficient in ASL
- Ability to interpret for an individual that is Deaf is highly desired, but not required.
- The ability to develop a good relationship with not only the consumer but also with the employer by keeping them apprised to the consumer’s progress in learning their job.
- Working with the employer to develop natural supports for the consumer and recommend any accommodations needed for the consumer to be successful on the job.
- Enthusiastic to work with individuals with disabilities ranging from developmental and learning disorders, behavioral health, blind and low vision, deaf and hard of hearing, physical and medical.
- Demonstrate the ability to break down job task into small steps the consumer can understand
- The creativity to come up with unique solutions to assist the consumer in learning the job.
- Have a variety of work experience and knowledge of the current job market is necessary
- Good writing skills to document the consumer’s progress in learning their job task and/or weaknesses on the job
- Be able to meet deadlines with completing written reports
- Attend regular staff meetings with consumer and display a strong consumer advocacy
- Strong computer skills utilizing Microsoft word, excel, outlook and the ability to learn program specific software
Minimum of High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Proficient in ASL (Must be able to demonstrate the ability to use ASL to communicate at the interview)
- Must have driver’s license and insurance; must have own car
- Position will require travel between counties
- Flexibility to work any shift Monday thru Friday and weekends
- Must have high school diploma; Some college education a plus
- Pass a background check; physical and DMV Check
- Prior experience working with a diverse population, preferred but not required previous experience working with individuals with a developmental or learning disorder
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record acceptable to Goodwill's liability insurance provider. If at any time the employee is unable to maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to GESMV’s liability insurance provider, they must immediately notify Human Resources.
Must maintain the ability to pass a criminal background check and random drug screens.
Skills & Abilities
1. Knowledge of competitive employment work environments, policies and procedures.
2. Must have reliable transportation.
3. Must have and maintain an operating home telephone/cell phone.
4. Uncompromising ethics and integrity
5. Must have a desire to be a participating member of an organization that values employee involvement and diversity.
6. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate well with a broad spectrum of people; including consumers, employers and employees.
7. Must possess excellent customer service, organizational, writing, and reading skills.
Goodwill Easter Seals Miami Valley is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action (AA) compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all employment decisions, including, but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions, and terminations.