HS Diploma or equivalent and valid driver's license required. Moderate level of specialty maintenance experience required. 40 hrs/wk.
$18.45/hr. Go to http://www.metroparkstoledo.com for complete job requirements and to apply.
POSITION GOAL: Perform a broad spectrum of maintenance duties, including building equipment, maintenance, grounds maintenance, landscaping and construction.
PARK LOCATION: Providence Metropark: https://metroparkstoledo.com/explore-your-parks/providence-metropark /
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly – Regular – Non-exempt – Full Time
COMPENSATION: $18.45/hr. Employer and employee contribute to Public Employees Retirement System.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Alternates to the following position requirements may be made as Metroparks finds appropriate and acceptable.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Moderate level of specialty maintenance experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Broad, in-depth maintenance and mechanical skills; demonstrated ability to maintain and repair equipment.
• Demonstrated proficiency in maintenance specialty areas: carpentry, plumbing, painting, masonry, welding.
• Ability to operate, maintain and troubleshoot all types of equipment including power tools and heavy equipment.
• Understanding of maintenance-related safety regulations.
• Basic math skills.
• Must obtain and maintain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License within 6 months of hiring into the position.
• Obtain OSHA 10-hour certification within 6 months of hiring into the position.
• Problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Broad, general understanding of flora, fauna and wildlife of the area.
• Ability to communicate to the public in an articulate and intelligent manner.
• Able to become certified to administer CPR and first aid.
• Must be able to work independently without supervision.
• Ability to read and understand directions, work orders and MSDS sheets.
• Interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to work with all types of people including volunteers, staff, and the public.
• Obtain Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License within 12 months of hiring, category 5 or as assigned by supervisor.
• Basic customer service skills.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Requires regular lifting up to 40 lb. and occasional lifting up to 60 lb.; will work mostly outdoors in most weather conditions.
• 40-hour workweek may include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
REPORTS TO: Park Services Supervisor or Park Services Assistant Supervisor
DIRECT REPORTS: None
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist staff with the efficient completion of janitorial duties: cleaning facilities, removal of litter, and trash collection.
• Lead staff in the performance of general grounds maintenance activities including grass mowing, snow removal, road repair, erosion control, storm clean up, etc.
• Coordinate required landscaping activities; flowers and shrub installation, prune bushes and trees, bed maintenance, etc.
• Perform a variety of skilled building maintenance activities; plumbing, painting, dry wall, roofing and minor electrical.
• Implement procedures, techniques and best practices (TPM/6S) in the maintenance of facilities/equipment in park operations.
• Perform a variety of skilled construction and carpentry projects.
• Perform a variety of skilled trades; automotive and machine repair, plumbing, electrical, etc.
• Operate equipment including dump trucks; assure compliance with all related safety regulations.
• Understand and comply with PERRP, OSHA, and ODA requirements.
• Complete all required reports and maintenance logs.
• Actively seek opportunities for innovation and improvement within job role.
• Effectively lead staff and volunteers assigned to projects.
• Effectively communicate directions and adjust assignments as needed.
• Safely apply herbicides/pesticides in accordance with ODA regulations.
• Perform preventative maintenance on equipment; perform troubleshooting to diagnose mechanical issues, make repairs, and maintain records.
• Maintain personal time record for submission to supervisor.
• Create material lists, budget estimates, and timelines needed to complete assigned projects
• Serve as a member of the Park Operations team, providing assistance as needed.
• Direct the work of full-time, part time, seasonal and volunteer staff.
• Other Park District work related duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED: Park vehicles as assigned; manual and power driven equipment such as lawn mowers, chain saws, power hand tools; snow removal equipment, utility vehicles, trucks, light and medium-duty tractors, truck/trailer combinations, backhoe, skid steer, chemical dispensing systems, etc.
The Metropolitan Park District of the Toledo Area is an Equal Opportunity Employer
LIST OF ACRONYMS PERTAINING TO JOB DESCRIPTION
CPR - Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
TPM – Total Productive Maintenance
6S – Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain, Safe
PERRP – Public Employees Risk Reduction Program
OSHA – Occupational Safety and Health Administration
ODA – Ohio Department of Agriculture
MSDS – Material Safety Data Sheet