Perform, manage and supervise financial, operational and regulatory compliance audits and assist with special projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ability to complete entire audit projects from the planning phase to report issuance:
a. Develop and maintain audit programs for each area of the Corporation to ensure effective audit coverage of all organizational activities.
b. Prepare work papers reflecting the results of audit assignments and complete planned audits and special assignments in a high quality fashion.
c. Review work of subordinates for accuracy and completeness.
d. Provide feedback and training to new and existing employees to enhance audit quality and effectiveness.
e. Prepare audit reports for management and the Audit Committee identifying deficiencies noted, recommended corrective action, and status of corrective steps being taken.
f. Recommend effective internal controls to promote accurate processing of transactions, safeguarding and protection of corporate assets, prevention of fraud, and ensure regulatory compliance as well as fairness of financial information.
g. Ensure that deviations from corporate policies and procedures, regulatory requirements, other control weaknesses, and opportunities to enhance operational efficiency are communicated to the appropriate personnel for resolution.
2. Manage and develop highly professional internal audit staff to ensure maximum efficiency training. Recruit qualified candidates and provide leadership to staff through coaching, training and performance management.
3. Monitor progress and perform validation on internal audit and regulatory recommendations.
4. Monitor audit and accounting standards and regulatory changes and perform analysis to determine if audit department procedures and processes are in place to ensure compliance with the new requirements and best practices.
5. Coordinate internal audit work, including SOX work, with the Corporation's public accounting firm to ensure that effective audit services are provided to the Corporation and audit costs are minimized.
6. Prepare annual risk assessment that includes a department budget. Review scope of the assessment with the Audit Committee.
7. Assist with implementing process improvements for the department and training of internal audit team on department processes.
8. Utilize the internal audit management software to ensure the system is being utilized by the department at the highest efficiency level possible; document and provide recommendations for improvements. Develop and maintain a software system procedures manual. Build and update system workflows to achieve efficiencies.
9. Develop and maintain a high level of cooperation and rapport with internal audit department and officers and employees of the Corporation, as well as with regulators, external auditors, outsourced providers and employees.
10. Provide consulting services in the development of new products, changes in organizational structure and data processing systems, development of policies and procedures, or other areas as requested by management or the Audit Committee.
Education - Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business or related field.
Experience - Minimum of seven (7) years of auditing or accounting experience, preferably within the financial services industry, including one year in at least a lead/managing capacity.
Other - Attainment of a minimum of one internal audit or financial services related certification or designation.
Financial services experience.
Auditing experience in the financial services industry.
Data analytics experience.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Certification and/or other Financial Services or Auditing certifications.
Bachelors of Accounting (required)
Attainment of a minimum of one internal audit or financial services related certification or designation. (required)
Minimum of seven (7) years of auditing or accounting experience, preferably within the financial services industry, including one year in at least a lead/managing capacity. (required)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
First Merchants Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant (M/F/D/V).