Position Summary: Under the direction of the Director of Relationships, and in accordance with the
Strategic Road Map of Marion Family YMCA, the Relationship Manager-on-duty will fully understand
and communicate the Y as a cause driven organization; build strong relationships with members and
guests; and is responsible for operation while on duty including handling emergencies, supervising
staff on duty and solving problems and maintaining a healthy & safe environment. Incumbent must
role model the Y values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and work daily to develop
personal and meaningful relationships with members, staff, and guests.
Position Requirements: Position requires a person be a high school graduate or equivalent and at
least 21 years of age. Must possess human relations skills (e.g.: helpful, friendly, courteous,
enthusiastic, good communicator and able to work with the public). Must have strong leadership skills
and be able to handle emergencies and unexpected situations in a positive manner. Additional skills
include ability to promote the Y mission and communicate effectively with people of all ages and
backgrounds. CPR and First Aid certifications are a prerequisite. Must be available to work evenings
and weekends. Must complete a series of defined trainings prior to starting position and additional
trainings throughout tenure. Looking for candidates who can work evenings during the week and / or
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Incumbent must be able to move freely and quickly throughout the Y
facility; move easily across a variety of indoor and outdoor surfaces; communicate effectively with
people; explain or demonstrate fitness equipment; be on feet and walking 80% of the time for up to a
six hour shifts and lift up to 50 pounds.
INITIAL TRAINING REQUIREMENTS (must complete prior to first shift as Relationship Manager):
Exceeding Member Expectations – Building relationships and engaging members
Living Our Cause – Understanding and articulating the Y as a Cause-Driven Organization
Operational Responsibilities – Acting as manager of operation
1. Build meaningful relationships with members, guests and participants; help members connect with
one another and to the Y.
2. Maintain a clean & sanitary environment by following all department & association protocols for
health, cleaning & sanitizing; and proactively cleaning & sanitizing any area of the building as
3. Work daily to nurture the potential of youth and teens; help people improve their well-being; and
provide opportunities for people to give back and support their neighbors.
4. Fully understand and communicate the Y as a cause driven organization.
5. Understand Health Seekers and help the Director of Relationships provide programs and an
environment that is supportive of their efforts to incorporate healthy behavior into their lives.
6. Manage conflict and emergencies, specifically analyze situations, grasps problems and draw
reliable conclusions and take appropriate action without waiting for direction.
7. Responsible for overall immediate operation of the facility while on duty including acting as
supervisor of staff on duty, resolving conflicts and providing excellent service to members and
guests. O:\Human Resources 2018 start\Open Position announcements start 2018\RM Position Announcement.docx 2
8. Embrace, support and role model concepts of Listen First, building relationships, member
engagement and healthy lifestyles to all members.
9. Communicate in ways that are nurturing, welcoming, and hopeful, nurturing and fun.
10. Communicate regularly and effectively with all Directors and supervisor regarding unusual
incidents, unresolved issues and general functioning of organization while on duty.
11. Introduce the Y to prospective members.
12. Keep informed on all Y programs & service; and is able to match members’ personal goals and
needs with specific Y program and services.
13. Uphold Y policies and philosophy; use character development as a basis in working with members,
participants, and the public and staff.
14. Secure building for opening and/or closing according to current procedures.
15. Attend scheduled staff meetings and training sessions as required.
16. Assist supervisor, Executive Director and staff team as necessary / requested to ensure successful
outcome of YMCA operations and mission.
17. The incumbent must be able to fulfill the above job requirements by purposefully and seamlessly
challenging her/himself and others to accept and demonstrate the positive values of caring,
honesty, respect and responsibility.
POSITION STATUS & INFORMATION
Part time nonexempt approximately 6 to 15 hours per week
Ability to work evenings during the week and / or Saturdays preferred
TIMELINE FOR HIRING
Vacancy is Currently Open
Applications Accepted until position is filled
Applicant Screening beginning immediately
Direct questions to:
Carrie Guyton, Director of Relationships
Marion Family YMCA