We are inspired by solving big problems. We are all about progress; we set out to do something and we do it. - Rob Cohen President, PingHealth
PingHealth is a leader in cloud-based care coordination software and analytics solutions focused on behavioral health, substance use disorders, patients with complex needs, and senior care. We deliver on a mission of enabling better care for patients across the physical and behavioral health continuum. Our software solutions help healthcare professionals collaborate on shared patients across the spectrum of care.
This position (Senior Database Engineer - Cloud Platform is on the Health Engineering Team. You would be working specifically within the infrastructure/Platform areas. You will be fully hands-on with PostgreSQL, Aurora/RDS, Redshift and other cloud database technologies. You will have no direct reports but will be viewed as a platform leader to set best practices and procedures for database systems, partner with Engineering Leadership to drive key initiatives, continuously look for opportunities to automate, apply new AWS features, and drive the team for continuous technology modernization while reducing technical debt. You will assist and partner with other Engineering team members, Infrastructure Architects, Data Engineering leaders, and other Appriss Health professionals. You will identify practical solutions to business problems. You will personify an ideal team member.
The team is distributed with an office location in Louisville, KY. We are remote-work friendly.
You are adaptable. As priorities change, you adjust your contributions accordingly. This may involve building a new technical skillset, reviewing the design of a new component, or assisting with sprint activities in non-developmental phases. As a Database leader you will need to help drive and execute on strategy, execute on Platform key imperatives (Hoshin/Operational Key Results), and advise other Engineering teams on database best practices.
You are creative. You find deficiencies and advocate for continuous improvement; you seek creative solutions properly balancing organizational needs with making progress on key imperatives, reducing technical debt, and maintaining the current environment to meet contractual SLAs (Service Level Agreements).
You have AWS expertise. Strong AWS knowledge with proven experience in PostgreSQL, Aurora, Redshift and other cloud database technologies. Identify and apply AWS advanced features to our environment, be AWS cost conscious and track AWS billing changes/identify opportunities to lower costs and achieving personal OKR/sprint metrics and maintaining a high Say-Do.
What You'll Do:
* Works closely with developers and support teams to monitor, tune and optimize database performance.
* Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc.
* Drives and facilitates effective collaboration and communications across Engineering Health with focus on platform reliability, technical debt elimination, achieving key imperatives, advancing the platform, and meeting team and individual Say-Do metrics.
* Build consensus among a diverse group of Engineering stakeholders to create a consistent enterprise playbook for DB health, backup and archiving, and cost consciousness.
* Maintain the ability to balance road mapped sprint priorities against uncertainty due to outage impact, stakeholder contracts, or internal noise.
* Work with Platform internal colleagues/peers to ensure they have the appropriate information and knowledge at hand to be successful in meeting Platform Sprint metrics, as well as close partnership/collaboration with Enterprise Architects to ensure a complete Health Engineering vision.
* Responsibilities will include on call production support escalation/safety net, ~1 week every two months.
* Create awareness and implement database best practices and process improvement opportunities, including scheduling Lunch & Learns, knowledge sharing sessions with team, continued AWS upskilling, etc.
* Provide input in, create, and hold coding standards and best practices sacred while challenging the status quo to provide improvement, advancements, and forward progress.
What Success Looks Like...
In 3 months...
* Become familiar with the basic architecture and processes of ApprissHealth and PatientPing's services and data pipelines.
* Understand strategic roadmap projects and where you will be contributing.
* Start to contribute fixes and small improvements (EX: Query tuning).
* Participate in troubleshooting and resolution of production issues/outages from a data perspective.
In 6 months...
* Participate in Database design, architecture, and planning processes.
* Troubleshoot infrastructure, deployment, and other operational problems with emphasis on data.
* Partner with teammates and work with product engineers to deploy new services, help adopt new infrastructure or platform dependencies, add new observability capabilities, a new deployment pattern, etc.
In 12 months...
* Represent Platform/Cloud Engineering in architecture reviews with emphasis on data.
* Contribute novel patterns and capabilities.
* Work independently with product engineers to deploy a new service, help adopt new infrastructure or platform dependencies, add new observability capabilities, a new deployment pattern, etc.
What You Need:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience
* Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment.
* Strong technical problem-solving abilities
* 3+ years' hands-on experience in PostgreSQL database administration
* Hands on experience designing and maintaining relational databases on PostgreSQL, MySQL or Oracle relational database systems.
* 3+ years' experience with managed AWS services
* Proficient with demonstrable experience in several industry leading programming frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or Django.
* Experience with software development using Python, Ruby or other modern scripting languages.
* 3+ years' experience with AWS and Public Cloud Solutions/Services
* 3+ years' experience working in a fast-paced, highly challenging and primarily AWS environment.
What You Get:
* Join one of the fastest growing health tech companies in the country.
* Have the autonomy to build something with an enthusiastically supportive team.
* Learn best practices from world class investors and advisors.
* Work closely with the country's largest and most innovative health systems.
* Receive competitive cash compensation with health, dental, vision and other benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/V/H