Primary Location: 6305 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA, US
Other Locations: Phoenix, AZ; San Diego, CA; Pensacola, FL; New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Las Vegas, NV; Dayton, OH; Hampton, VA; Alexandria, VA; Norfolk, VA; Norfolk, VA; Virginia Beach, VA; Virginia Beach, VA; McLean, VA;
Division: Cox Communications Inc
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 218692
Senior Data Center Network DevOps Engineer
Cox Communications is a national provider of diversified communications services. The Data Center Network Engineering, Security and Operations team manage a next-generation network that is in a leaf-spine topology, implemented using EVPN-VxLAN as the primary technology. The network spans multiple datacenters around the US and supports both internal application and service teams, as well as residential and business customers as a tier-3 service provider. The team is looking for skilled network engineering talent to operate the network, integrate and implement network and security designs by evaluating business strategies and requirements, researching network standards, and identifying integration issues. Responsibilities will also include identifying and resolving gaps in monitoring and automation. The individual will be able to analyze design requirements to identify and mitigate risk with integration into production networks.
You will need a strong background with networking and security technologies from one or more major vendors such as Arista, Juniper, Cisco and Palo Alto Networks. You will also have a grasp of virtual network technologies (Kubernetes, NSX) and possess demonstrable skills in one or more programming languages (Python, Go, C/C++, Ruby, PHP, Perl, etc.) along with hands-on Ansible experience.
You must be passionate about learning continuously and experimenting with technology, demonstrating the ability to stay abreast of current and upcoming trends in networking.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
* Accountable for creating robust, technically detailed "MOP" (Method of Procedure) for service integration and implementation
* Accountable for analyzing network change requests to determine what type of service is requested, the degree of impact, and where and when implementation should occur.
* Accountable for ensuring that network infrastructure and applications are maintained and patched
* Collaborate with Network Engineering partners to integrate new network designs into the production network
* Independently analyze existing tools for missing efficiencies or gaps and develop new processes for addressing automation opportunities.
* Independently support internal and external teams in relation to upcoming platform initiatives
* Provide advanced troubleshooting assistance using structured and repeatable methodology
* Appropriately respond to incident escalations and ensure appropriate follow-up based on severity level
* Recommend use cases that address specific organizational needs and / or regulatory requirements
* Prepare and present dashboards for tiered support organization including but not limited to, incident trending, standards compliance, and maintenance activity.
* Provide network performance and capacity guidance by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends
* Coordinates with other departments to ensure the network is available and configured to exceed market demands.
* May manage intermediate level projects with Operations and Engineering to confirm delivery intervals and validate critical dates and milestones to ensure delivery of services stay on target.
* Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
* Generally 5-8 years of experience in network engineering or operations
* 4+ years of direct, hands-on technical network engineering or operations experience
* Demonstrable skills in one or more programming languages (Python preferred, Go, C/C++, Perl, PHP, Ruby also acceptable)
* Extensive experience with advanced datacenter networking technologies such as EVPN-VxLAN, MPLS and IS-IS, congestion detection and avoidance methodologies, and application-layer troubleshooting
* Demonstrable skills in the following areas:
Packet-based protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, MPLS and Routing Protocols: BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, EIGRP;
Ethernet Technologies: EVPN-VxLAN, 802.1Q (VLAN tagging), 802.1P (layer 2 QoS), VRRP, HSRP;
QoS Capabilities: classification, marking, queuing, policing
Traffic management validations
* Demonstrable experience analyzing and interpreting system and application logs to diagnose faults and spot abnormal behaviors using tools such as Splunk or ELK
* Strong foundation in dynamic routing protocols
* Experience in systems for modeling and monitoring large networks, e.g., Forward Enterprise
* Practical experience using UNIX or Linux system administration
* Experience working with managers and customers from multidisciplinary areas, receiving requirements and converting them into actions
* Master's degree in Engineering, Telecommunications, Software Engineering, or related technical fields
* Experience building automation tools using various platform APIs
* Experience with configuring and troubleshooting network layer issues in container-based platforms such as Kubernetes, Rancher, OpenShift, etc.
* Experience with virtual infrastructures (e.g, KVM, VMWare)
* Experience with Juniper SRX firewalls
* One or more intermediate-level or higher networking related certifications (CCNP/CCIE, JNCIS/JNCIP/JNCIE)
* One or more intermediate-level or higher security related certifications (CISSP, CISM, CEH, CFI, CNSE, JNCIS, JNCIE)
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We've been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We're also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We're looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you'll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, .
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.