OhioMeansJobs|Cleveland-Cuyahoga County, OMJCC is sourcing for the position of Construction & Maintenance Helper, for a North American power and energy company located in Cleveland, Ohio with position opportunities in multiple locations.
Enter the Energy industry as a Helper in our Construction & Maintenance Department. We are seeking individuals willing to perform physical work safely in an outdoor environment. In this role, you will perform a variety of skilled tasks including maintenance and construction on natural gas pipelines, meters and other equipment associated with a natural gas distribution system serving 1.2 million customers. This position will be assigned individual functions and work as part of a construction & maintenance crew under the direction of a higher classification and/or supervision. In addition, Helpers learn to operate and repair tools and equipment associated with the position, safely perform pipeline-related tasks including leak repair and leak surveys, line locating, pipeline monitoring and the accurate documentation of all pipeline work performed. The position requires driving, operating and maintaining heavy equipment and vehicles. With this position, a Helper must become competent in electronic mapping and learn all compliance required to perform the job duties.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 0-2 years of experience
- Must obtain a Class A commercial drivers license and all applicable endorsements/restrictions (automatic, pintle hook, air brakes) before the end of the newly hired employee's 6 month probation period; the probation period begins the first day of employment. Failure to do so will result in termination.
- Candidates must obtain a temporary CDL license, instruction permit identification card (TIPIC), at the time of the interview
- Must work overtime, shifts, call-outs and holidays
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions
- Ability to work in excavated areas, and work with heavy equipment like backhoes, front-end loaders, jackhammers, trenchers, light equipment, tapping equipment, boring equipment, etc
- Must be able to pass the CAST pre-employment test
- Must pass the C&M physical test and must be physically capable of performing strenuous physical work
- Must be able to pass required Operator Qualification (OQ) training and maintain all required Operator Qualifications (OQ) for the C&M Helper position after hire
- Must have a mechanical aptitude to work with tools and equipment
- Must be willing to work shifts and have a good attendance and work record
- Must be willing to work overtime. After 12 months in the Helper Classification this includes the responsibility to be reasonably available for emergency call-outs.
- Experience in natural gas, construction and maintenance or excavation, plumbing, performing fitter operator-type work including heat and plastic fusion
- Experience using leak detection and line locating equipment
- Basic computer knowledge
- Have knowledge of natural gas construction and maintenance procedures and safety regulations
Outdoor work on uneven terrain, shifts may be assigned on a rotating basis, must be available for emergencies and overtime, must be available for evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary
This job requires recommended test results from the EEI Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) aptitude test, administered on site during the pre-employment process. To view the practice test, cut and paste the following URL in your browser, https://careers.dominionenergy.com/content/Pre-Employment-Testing/
OMJCC # 823611890