FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy(NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and performing professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies. Summer Internships with FirstEnergy are full-time opportunities spanning 14 weeks. FirstEnergy offers paid internships to qualified students actively enrolled in an accredited university or college.
As an IT System Administrator Intern at FirstEnergy, you will have hands on experience supporting the servers and databases throughout the FirstEnergy enterprise. An IT System Administrator Intern must be self-motivated and have a desire to learn new and proprietary systems and dig deep into unfamiliar territory.
Students interested in the IT System Administrator internship are encouraged to review the IT Application Configuration Analyst internship opportunity as the roles and responsibilities of each opportunity are very similar.
Examples of possible job duties and responsibilities of a Systems Administrator:
* Assist in incident management including problem resolution and tracking problems
* Utilize monitoring tools to proactively identify problems with systems, applications, and networks.
* Create, update, and execute change requests, as directed
* Develop backup/restore procedures
* Design and implement disaster recovery procedures
Examples of possible roles an intern could have as a Systems Administrator:
* Unix/Linux Server Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of UNIX/Linux servers in the FirstEnergy enterprise.
* Microsoft Server & PC Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of Microsoft Server and PC Administration in the FirstEnergy enterprise
* Currently enrolled, full time, in a Bachelor's degree program at an accredited university/college focusing on Computer Science or technology equivalent degree.
* Class Standing - Graduation between Fall 2023 and Spring 2026.
* Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
* Must have the ability to work without sponsorship (now or in the future)
* Highly motivated to work independently, utilizing virtual technologies, and learn quickly
* Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
* Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
* Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
* Familiarity with the following technologies:
* Basic network concepts (network switching, routing, management and monitoring)
* X86 PC or server hardware maintenance
* High Level UNIX/Linux operating system and system administration fundamentals
* Windows Server and Windows PC operating systems
* Experience with any kind of coding or scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Java, C, PowerShell, SQL etc.)
* Basic knowledge of database concepts, including basic SQL statements and database design fundamentals. Any classroom, personal project, or work experience administering any mainstream database technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, or Oracle is highly encouraged.
* Basic understanding of windows PC operating systems and workstation group policy
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA, and anticipated graduation date on your resume.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you are applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you may have utilized the skills needed for the position. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
To Apply: All applicants must create an account on FirstEnergy's Career Opportunities website in order to be eligible and to apply for this position.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a
disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.