The Public Benefits Specialist position at Allen County Job and Family Services gives you an opportunity to empower individuals in our community to overcome personal crises, which will aid in their overall long-term success and happiness. We provide services such as food, cash and medical assistance, publicly-funded child care, adult protection, supportive services, and employment assistance. You will interact with customers first-hand, face-to-face, or via telephone. This is a full-time employment opportunity that provides an excellent work/life balance.
Make a difference and impact the lives of families and individuals within the community. Join us at Allen County Job and Family Services and make a change you can be proud of. Start your career today!
Allen County Job and Family Services, with support of regional employers, economic development, and community partners, is committed to building a stronger community by promoting self-sufficiency.
We are dedicated to assisting Allen County families and individuals achieve their highest level of stability and independence through career development and supportive services.
About The Role:
The ideal candidate for this position will be passionate about their community and providing assistance to those in need, able to effectively solve problems, remain professional while being empathetic to customers’ needs, and consistently meet all expectations relating to the role.
- Interviews customers and processes cases to determine initial eligibility for assistance programs, Medical programs, Food Assistance, and Cash Assistance
- Maintains accurate records
- Processes interactive interviews with customers to re-determine ongoing eligibility for assistance programs, related Medical programs, Food Assistance, and Cash Assistance
- Responsible for the assistance program, related Medical programs, Food Assistance, and Cash Assistance caseload, telephone calls, and customer interviews
- Refers customers to other agency units when appropriate
- Completes all forms necessary for maintaining assistance programs, related Medical programs, Food Assistance, and Cash Assistance cases
- Completes necessary paperwork for computer matches, desk review, etc.
- Computes overpayment/over-issuance and completes forms
- Accesses online manuals for current rules and regulations
- Prepares cases for County Conferences/State Hearings and acts as an agency representative
- Attends meetings, conferences, training sessions, etc., as necessary
- Other duties as assigned (e.g., special assignments for supervisor, completes daily planner, filing, etc.)
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting pay is $22.00 per hour
- $22.50 per hour with completed Associate Degree
- $23.00 per hour with completed Bachelor’s Degree
- Up to $0.75 per hour increase after passing probation
- Monday - Friday (37.5 hours per week) 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 12 paid holidays
- Vacation time
- State retirement system
- Work/Life Balance
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligible employer
- Work 7.5 hours a day PLUS PAID LUNCH
Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of the position
- Must have a passion for helping others
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in related fields preferred (business management, business administration, human services, social services, etc.)
- Must have the ability to problem-solve and not be intimidated by challenges