Schafer Industries is a premier supplier of off-highway axles and differentiated precision gearing solutions. Established in 1934, Schafer Industries has locations in South Bend, IN, Roscoe, IL, Fredericktown, OH and Blacklick, OH. Schafer Industries is one of the few manufacturers of integrated axle solutions in the off-highway electric vehicle market. Schafer serves customers in a variety of end markets including off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, aerospace, defense, oil & gas, material handling, powertrain, electric mobility, heavy duty trucking, agriculture, and construction. Our mission is to leverage world class capabilities to deliver superior products and services to maximize the value for our customers, employees, shareholders, and communities.
Schafer Industries is currently seeking a Product Application Engineer for its Schafer Driveline operation in Fredericktown, Ohio.
Why Work at Schafer Industries?
- We are a growth-oriented company with a diversified customer base.
- We are committed to a culture of safety and continuous improvement.
- You will enjoy a collaborative work environment where your talents and opinions matter.
- We provide training as well as opportunities to work on projects in support of your career development.
- You will quickly see your impact when working with the team.
- We live our values of Safety, Integrity, Responsibility to Others, Customer Focus, Continuous Improvement and Accountability in all that we do.
- We have competitive pay and benefits to include 401(k) match and tuition reimbursement.
The Product Application Engineer position is responsible for the engineering of driveline and axle products involving design and redesign in accordance with time schedules, quality parameters, customer needs, market needs and manufacturing capabilities
- Technical liaison with customers. Understands and respond to customer requests, both verbal and written, including meetings and presentations.
- Evaluates customer applications to determine suitable product solution. Assists with new product launches.
- Oversees FEA to determine stresses on various components and estimate product life.
- Creates DVPR and writes test requests to support the test plan.
- Follows APQP process, including DFMEA, design reviews, etc.
- Creates work orders and gives direction to design group to ensure products meet all engineering requirements.
- Manages several projects at one time.
- Assists drafting, the test lab, manufacturing, quality, and purchasing as required.
- Handles all changes and problems related to product assigned.
- Works with internal departments and suppliers for cost reductions, product improvements, or to address manufacturing concerns.
- Responsible for entire product life cycle
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and one to three years design experience
- FEA Preferred
- Technical Capacity.
- Project Management.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Communication Proficiency
- Customer/Client Focus
- Basic understanding of axle functions and components preferred.
- Knowledge of MASTA gearbox design software preferred.
- Basic knowledge of 2D and 3D CAD modeling and 2D orthographic drafting practices, including geometric tolerancing.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
Occasional out-of-area and overnight travel may be required.
Schafer Industries is an EEO/AAP Employer:
Our company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity. This means that we make employment decisions on the basis of job-related qualifications, skills and abilities and not on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
As a federal subcontractor, we also are required to take affirmative action, or proactive measures, to prevent discrimination.