Schafer Industries is a premier supplier of off-highway axles and differentiated precision gearing solutions. Established in 1934, Schafer Industries has locations in South Bend, IN, Roscoe, IL, Fredericktown, OH and Blacklick, OH. Schafer Industries is one of the few manufacturers of integrated axle solutions in the off-highway electric vehicle market. Schafer serves customers in a variety of end markets including off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, aerospace, defense, oil & gas, material handling, powertrain, electric mobility, heavy duty trucking, agriculture, and construction. Our mission is to leverage world class capabilities to deliver superior products and services to maximize the value for our customers, employees, shareholders, and communities.
Schafer Industries is currently seeking a 2nd Shift Quality Control Technician for its Schafer Gear Works operation in Roscoe, IL. Currently offering up to $28 per hour, $1,000 sign on Bonus, Walk-In Interviews
Why Work at Schafer Industries?
- We are a growth-oriented company with a diversified customer base.
- We are committed to a culture of safety and continuous improvement.
- You will enjoy a collaborative work environment where your talents and opinions matter.
- We provide training as well as opportunities to work on projects in support of your career development.
- You will quickly see your impact when working with the team.
- We have competitive pay and benefits to include 401(k) match and tuition reimbursement.
- We live our values of Safety, Integrity, Responsibility to Others, Customer Focus, Continuous Improvement and Accountability in all that we do.
Schafer Gear Works offers a comprehensive, competitive total compensation program based on market trends. The company maintains training programs and tuition reimbursement to continually provide the opportunity for employees to enhance and improve their existing knowledge and skills. Benefits offered to employees and their families include:
- Medical, and Dental Plans
- Company Paid Vision Plan
- Company Paid Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- 401(K) Savings Plan (Including company match)
- Job Related Training
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Optional Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Supports the inspection function by:
- Perform in-process and finished goods inspections, including visual, dimensional and functional verifications.
- Maintain a record of inspection results with appropriate documentation completed based on the results.
- Maintaining control of non-conforming products and completed appropriate documentation on the non-conformance.
- Identifying status of all material in the lab area with the appropriate ID tag/flag.
- Coordinating the movement of material in and out of the lab.
- Inspecting material brought to lab for set-up verification or in-process performance.
- Inspecting prototype work as designated by the Q.A. Manager/designee.
- Assists with maintaining the calibration of equipment used in the lab by verifying and investigating out of tolerance situations.
- Repairing and maintaining, checking in/out Gages as needed.
- Maintaining calibration results for all test and inspection equipment.
- Reading and interpreting lead and involute charts off of any gear checking equipment.
- Completing other duties as assigned by Supervisor, Department Lead or QA Manager/designee.
- Conducts Receiving Inspection by:
- Inspecting material received from suppliers and customers per inspection plan.
- Completing and maintaining receiving inspection records as required, including material certifications.
- Ensure proper labeling of acceptable material.
- Performs all receiving tasks related to incoming materials including entry of received material into the MRP system and receiving/inspection file maintenance.
- Initiating Defective Material Reports as required.
- Supports Process Control by:
- Assisting the development and implementation of QMS.
- Identifying process improvements that will increase capability and performance.
- Creating and maintaining company documentation such as manuals and procedures.
- Participating in the troubleshooting of test products.
- Assisting other areas to develop appropriate procedures and processes.
- Participating in team activities and supporting the success of the team goals.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two plus years of Quality technician experience in the metal working industry.
- Knowledge of Gear Metrology and Nomenclature is preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret prints, schematics, and procedures for the inspection of outgoing materials from SGW.
- Ability to accurately and effectively collect and interpret accumulated data from various inspections devices.
- Capable of maintaining and organizing accurate files relating to all facets of the lab.
- Strong computer skills. Familiar with Microsoft Office products.
- ASQ-CQI or ASQ-CQT certification is preferred
Measurement Tools – able to select, setup and use the following types of gauges and inspection equipment, and evaluate the measurement results to determine conformance to specifications:
Hand Tools (Calipers, Micrometers, all types) Gages (Pins, Thread, plug, Indicators)
Optical Tools (Comparator, Profiles) Coordinate Measurement Machine
Hardness testing equipment Surface plate methods and equipment
Sunnen ID gages Vari-roll/M&M fixtures
CMM Test and Dial indicators
Computerized gear Checkers Marposs
- Air conditioned/heated manufacturing facility with possible exposure to noise; dust; fumes; physical, chemical, and biohazards; solvents, oils, and detergents.
- This job is to be performed at the designated facility 100% of the time unless directed otherwise by manager/supervisor.
Schafer Industries is an EEO/AAP Employer:
Our company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity. This means that we make employment decisions on the basis of job-related qualifications, skills and abilities and not on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
As a federal subcontractor, we also are required to take affirmative action, or proactive measures, to prevent discrimination.